Welcome to the Pinoy Nurse Station

This is an extension blog for Pinoy R.N. where we feature regular nurses as they go about their daily lives in the service of humanity.

"Goobs"

Real Name: Andrew AC
Chatroom Nickname:
Goobs
Age:
30’s
Present Location:
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Hometown:
Bacolod City

~ All About You ~

Goobs
What's the story behind your chatroom nickname?
The name Goobs originally came from Gooblecute. It was the name assigned to me when I first logged in. Gooblecute seemed too long a name, so I was asked to change it. Obviously I had to drop the cute and retained Gooble, Goobs for short. That’s how my nickname evolved. Don’t ask me what it means though because I honestly don’t know. I must admit it sounds cute, haha.

What keeps you busy?
Oh well, work keeps me busy. I work a 12 hour night shift, about four to five days a week.

What do you enjoy most about what you do?
It is the experience itself that makes me enjoy my work; being on my feet all the time, the adrenalin rush, the pleasure of working with different people from physicians, to colleagues, to secretaries and everyone else involved in patient care, the excitement of interesting cases I meet everyday, the various patients from all walks of life I deal with each time, and the learning experience as a whole. Trust me, everyday is a learning experience.


What is it that makes you wish you were on vacation?
When there is too much pressure at work that I get so drained and exhausted, I wish I’m on vacation. Of course, the opportunity to visit new places, and the chance to see my family and friends back home, nothing compares to that.

What are your hobbies/interests? What kind of stuff do you dream of doing, but haven't gotten to do?
On my spare time, I would usually just watch tv/dvd, listen to music, read my emails and chat with friends. If I get to go out, I would do some grocery stuff, maybe a little shopping, hehehe, that is if my budget allows me to. If there is one thing I have been wanting to do but not have the chance to do yet, I would say, going on vacation in Asia and my ultimate dream destination, Europe. Need I say more?

~ You and Pinoy R.N. ~

Goobs

When and how did you get to know about Pinoy R.N.?
Sometime in February, my friend who recently graduated from nursing asked me for a list of states that do not require CGFNS. So I looked it up in the net and it brought me to Pinoy RN.

What was your first impression of Pinoy R.N.?
I would say Pinoy RN is a cool and interesting site. I did not even know that a site for Pinoy nurses exists. I was actually surprised.

What was it about Pinoy R.N. that made you come back a second time?
After work I would usually check my email and watch tv before I sleep. At times I am not able to sleep right away (am I hearing protests? Hehehe) impossible, huh. But absolutely true. Anyway, I thought of checking the site again and see what’s in there. I just watch people as they chat. Sometimes I would butt in. Well I find Pinoy RN interesting. Everybody has been very helpful and accommodating , from members to moderators alike.


What keeps you coming back now?
In a short period of time that I spent at Pinoy RN, I encountered a lot of people and luckily made friends with some. Now I got something to look forward to every time I go home from work.

~ Pinoy R.N. Community EBs ~

When was your first EyeBall (EB)?
That’s coming up soon when I go home this coming May, 2008.

What/who gave you the "courage" to meet virtual strangers in an EB?
It is the opportunity to finally meet the people I talk to online and see how they are in person so they’re no longer virtual strangers.

Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet, what time did you go home?
Oh that still remains to be seen but I am sure it’s gonna be a fun and awesome experience.


~ You and Nursing School~

What made you choose nursing?
Peer pressure, family influence, the prospect of working abroad, the chance to earn money and help my family, the opportunity to better myself, to help the sick?

What school did you graduate from?
University of St. La Salle - Bacolod

Tell us about your most memorable experience as a Student Nurse.
My first delivery case. I never thought I would be able to deliver a baby. I can’t believe I can actually do it. Up to this time, it still amazes me.

Tell us about the biggest blunder you made as a Student Nurse.
I played chess with my psych patient during our Psych exposure. I was so focused on winning the game. I totally forgot that he is a psych patient, depressed at that. I already won the first two games before I realized it. So I made him won the third game. Too bad, I could have made him more depressed by letting him lose had I not realized it.

What lesson did you learn from that blunder?
I learned that sometimes you have to lose some in order to win some. In some cases, losing is a sacrifice one has to make in order to win. If at times you falter, it is never too late to redeem yourself.

~ You and the Nursing Board Exam ~

Were you able to complete your OR/DR cases on time?
Yup, but not after a few enrichment class.

How did you prepare/review for the Nursing Board Exam?
We have our review class about 2 months prior to our graduation. I did self review and I also enrolled in a formal review class.

What was your reaction when you found out that you were officially an R.N.?
I had mixed feelings actually. Of course I was so happy that all my hard work paid off. However, I was anxious about not landing a job in nursing due to the volume of nursing graduates at that time.

~ Nurse on Duty ~






















Where do you currently work / train / volunteer?

I am working in a level 2 trauma center hospital here in Baltimore, Maryland USA.

What particular ward / area are you assigned to?
ER

Tell us about your work responsibilities.
I’m an RN2 so I do charge. I work in a 60 bed capacity ER and being in charge, I practically run the entire ER. I oversee the flow/operation of the ER, I collaborate with physicians, nurses, techs and other departments involved in the care of the patient whether directly or indirectly. If any problem arise, I make sure I intervene to fix it. It’s not a joke being in charge but you got to do what you got to do.

Tell us about a patient that you had who was most memorable to you and why.
I have this one patient that every time she is in the ER she would always ask for me to do her IV. She thinks I am the only one who can get her. Admittedly, she is a hard stick, meaning she doesn’t have good veins to begin with.

If you’re not a nurse, what would you probably be?
Probably I would have been a
CPA since my second course is Accountancy. But I never had the opportunity to take the CPA board since I had to go to the US shortly after I graduated from my second course.

Do you have plans of working abroad? Where?
Obviously, I’m in Maryland now, but I am planning to have a travel assignment so I can work in different states.

What steps have you taken to make this plan a reality?
Like everybody else, I had to go through all the tests and pass all the requirements. It’s never easy, you all know that. I too was affected by recession and retrogression during my time. But I’m one lucky survivor.

What advice can you give to an aspiring nurse?
To the aspiring nurses out there, my only advice would be to hold on to your dream. Stay focused on whatever it is your doing, give your heart to it, give it your 100%. Be motivated and dedicated. Have a strong will and determination. Love nursing and nursing will love you in return.

7 comments:

sir jaf said...

hey part!
u can truly inspires a lot of Pinoy RNs not to quit but to pursue their dreams...i truly admires your courage and hardworks just to be in what you are right now and be able to enjoy the fruit of your labor...thank you for the friendship and more power to your career...Godspeed buddy! A true Pinoy RN....

jaf :)

judes,ci said...

To Goobs,

Cool name huh! :) Anyway, just wanna tell you - I'm proud that a Pinoy nurse like you actually excels in a foreign land. Galing mo Sir! You kinda inspire me not to stop dreaming and believing!

Just continue to be a blessing to others. With that achievement now, I'm pretty sure that you will really go a long way. Who knows, you might even become the Director of Nursing in your hospital someday :). God bless you Sir!

judes,ci

ER said...

Goobs,
U r such a good inspiration to everybody...keep it up !! hopefully we can join U in BAltimore soon...God Permits!!! Our Priority date is almost out (Aug 2006) Please also pray for us...See u soon....ER

CyNurse said...

keep it up, goobs!

Jhayjhay said...

hi kuya goobs..celebs na talaga dating mo di kana ma reach..anyway,you truly inspires me in so many ways...it's indeed so nice to encounter such person like you in this site...ang galing ng Pinoy...more power sa career..Godbless you everyday...

Its me,
Ranfah

Firebolt RN said...

Let these words of great minds inspire us and help us to achieve our goals and live a fulfilling life!

ur d man......\m/ dont 4get d HP encounter! lols!

blue_marlin...

tin2 said...

ey parts!!! You've been such an inspiration indeed!!!! And knowing you personally adds up more from what i used to know you here.. not just a very successful nurse, a caring-thoughtful-loving son, brother, and tito to your family, but also a wonderful, 'talented' friend who's fun to be with.

Keep it up and enjoy all the rewards you received for you truly deserves them.

Hope to see you soon in DC!!

coffee & tea? blue marlin? HP encounter?..for the second time around.. who knows! lolz..

Created and maintained by Lyle R. Santos, BSN RN. All Rights Reserved. Copyright © 2005 - 2008 - Pinoy Nurse Station - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template - November 2008 Nursing Board Exam Results (NLE Results)